Monday, September 22, 2008

Geocaching

I became intruiged as I read through the website of Dr. Alice Christie
and her Geocaching activities. WOW - what a wonderful tool for classrooms all across the board. Geocaching uses GPS navigation devices in a "hide and seek" type manner. This is an excellent way for any teacher to incorporate social studies, mathematics, science and many other subjects into her classroom. I love the fact that this is a hands-on approach to learning for students. They are not sitting in a desk being taught through a lecture or writing on the white board, they are actually out of the classroom altogether.

Geocaching could also contribute to team building activities within a classroom setting and even the use of critical thinking skills. This is an amazing tool that I have never heard of. This would be a useful tool for a group of teachers, within a certain grade, to work together as a team to participate in. Why not purchase a set of GPS devices to have on hand at a school to use. I think it would be a great activity for a field trip where students have been on a bus for a couple of hours and then they are able to go and learn, but have fun at the same time.

Thanks Dr. Christie! Technology is expanding every day -- I just hope I can keep up!

1 comment:

Janna Terry said...

Hey mom I love your blog background can u teach me how to get that kind???
IIIII
LLLLOOOVVVEEE
YYYYOOOUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Jannabug