Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mathmatics and Technology

I am one who does not do well in mathematics classes. I was eager to hear what Judy Chandler had to say about integrating mathematics and technology. The one common factor in most math classes is the fact that most students are guided through chapter by chapter lessons in a book. With this type of teaching, many students get lost (like me). Being one of those "lost" students can quickly discourage one from wanting to learn mathematics.

Ms. Chandler went on to tell how we, as teachers, need to integrate technology in our teaching skills. She went on to tell how most students have a higher level of technology education before they walk into the classroom and that the math technology integration would widely benefit their learning. Not only does this help in learning one concept, but it can further their critical thinking skills. Many times this technology gives visual aids and explains uses for the skills they are learning.

I know in my math classes it was hard for me to comprehend the uses for the skills I was learning. If we can show our students how these skills will be used, through technology, it will allow them to open up to learn a skill that they might otherwise feel is useless.

No comments: