Thursday, October 23, 2008

ACCESS Lab Visit

picture of me standing in the Access lab
I had the opportunity to visit the ACCESS Lab at Alma Bryant High School on Friday, October 17th under the direction of Ms. Samantha Smith. I was amazed at how well this lab was put together and functioned and how well the students behaved.

During my visit, Ms. Smith was in the process of teaching a creative writing class with both students from Bryant High as well as students from Chilton County. I was able to watch as the entire class took place. The assignments were given to the students several days in advance in which they had to "kill" a cartoon character and write a eulogy for this character. During this class session, several students (alternating from Bryant to Chilton) stood up, the teacher/facilitator zoomed in on that child and they proceeded to read their eulogy. We at Bryant were able to watch every move made at Chilton County through one of the three television screens popicture of teacher Samantha Smith and access labsted in the room and Chilton County was also able to so.

Although Ms. Smith was able to understand each and every word of the students from Chilton County, it was a little more difficult for me to understand them. I am assuming that the longer you work with this, the better it will be for you to hear and understand. I was amazed at the small, telephone looking object Ms. Smith had on her desk and allowed her to maneuver her cameras to any direction she wanted, but the touch of a stylus.

I asked Ms. Smith about the current budget problems and if she thought this might affect the ACCESS program in Alabama. She told me that most of these labs are being paid for with grant monies and that the budget cuts should not stop them. She was forthright in telling me that she was surprised that this program has lasted this long as many times programs in our school system get cut after only a few years. She was very picture of access labsupportive of this program and hopes to see it continue. She also wants to encourage any new teachers to get involved as she says it is a nice additional paycheck!

I have posted a few pictures that I took in the lab for you to view as well. Enjoy!

No comments: