Sunday, October 5, 2008

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

What an amazing lecture to be able to listen to as a future teacher. Randy Pausch certainly gives us all a look at how we should all be living our lives, as if these are our last ones. We all have had dreams from our childhood that we have certainly left many behind. Dr. Pausch shares some of his childhood dreams with us in his last lecture. Not only did he share those, but he chose to show us how he made sure those dreams were never left behind. He fulfilled each dream to the best of his ability. Have we fulfilled ours? How many children will step foot into our classrooms that need their dreams fulfilled? Will we be the teacher that helps that child meet those dreams. I know I certainly want to be one of those teachers.

Randy Pausch also reminds us that we never need to let go. If there is something that needs to be done or that we want to attain, then go get it. Let those people you meet along the way, pave that way for you. The use of friends, family and mentors is such an important factor in becoming the best that you can become.

Another important fact Dr. Pausch brings up is being a salesman in education. I am in college to be just that type of salesman, and yet I never thought I could sell anything. However, he changes my view completely. I so desperately want to help open the minds of the children that I teach. I need to allow them to experience things on so many different levels, not just from books. Children need expanded education, hands-on experience, active learning not passive learning.

I am thrilled to have had the pleasure of seeing such an outstanding professor speak to so many people in such a profound way. He was in his last days of life, yet went on as if he was just living to help someone else. Thank you Dr. Pausch.

No comments: